Clearwater, Florida

We paid our January rent with money orders. The Island In the Sun office only recorded one of the 3 money orders. I responded that they were paid. It's now May and I brought in a good check for rent. They refused to give me a receipt and sent it back by mail. I have a photo of the check on their desk and a witness that it was tendered on time.

Now they claim I'm late and they threaten eviction.

Their rent accounting is really bad and they have no understanding of the law. The manager is incompetent and petty, ignoring major problems and harassing tenants instead. The rent is much higher than the market and goes up without justification every year. There are 5 times as many houses for sale as there ought to be. Everyone is bailing out. Their legally required prospectus is a pack of lies. Required disclosures about rent increases and sewer are wrong or omitted. They cut down mature oaks that are protected by law and do not plant the required replacements.

Review about: Mobile Home Park.

I liked: Friends in the park.

I didn't like: Exorbitant rent increases, Poor management decisions and customer service.

1.3
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Poor customer service / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Cal Am Properties?

Comments

Why in the world would you pay your rent with THREE separate money orders? That sounds more than a little fishy to me!

kenbear2
to Anonymous #1162168

The first two were from different sources of income. The third was for the rent increase, which was supposed to be effective until 9 months later.

FYI!Pay with postal money orders.

Take pic of all rental Money Orders send to ur email as ur records. Contact Fair Housing of discriminatory practices every state has one in place. Go to ur city hall to find out owner or a Realestate broker tht can pull up info. If ur low income contact Legal Aid who will represent you based on income.

Finally take all ur proof and take Civil action.

I pray this info is helpful, I've been their n ur shoes.